How to use the Histogram function on the MSO5000, DS7000 and MSO8000 series
The histogram function allows you to visually analyze modulations, noise, jitter and other signal characteristics with the customizable histogram display. Easily characterize signal behavior versus time or amplitude and display both visual histogram as well as a statistical data associated with the reference area.
- Tap on the lower left-hand corner of the display on the icon to the left of the channel 1 controls. This will bring up the pop-up navigation menu which allows you to quickly make some measurements, set references, perform pass/fail testing, perform math operations and decode serial communication.
- Tap on the “Draw rect” icon so that the rectangle is highlighted in blue.
- Once this is done draw a box over your signal. (In the image below, I draw the box over one of an AM signals lobe.)
- Once you have drawn the box press “Histogram”. This will not only display the histogram but also being you to the histogram menu.
- In this menu you can choose the type either if you want it to be over time or amplitude of the signal, the source that you would like to view and the scaling of the histogram.
- Turn statics on. This will not only display the histogram on the screen but also tell you the results in the box that you originally drew.